Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dreaming Korea

Lately, a large portion of my dreams take place in South Korea. It doesn't seem all that weird considering this is the place I see and experience on a daily basis, but it came as quite the shocker to me. The best thing would be if the language of my dreams was Korean, but that just isn't possible quite yet. Although, I did begin learning the Hangul consonants and vowels today.

I wont type too much because I'd prefer to simply post visuals of all that has been happening. It's certainly been a busy past couple weeks. Not photographed:
  • Learning the game "Rock, scissors, paper," from students (same game, but slightly tweeked) + My students are totally opening up to me and so, we are all able to have a little fun while learning. In return I taught them high five, pound, explosion. They love it.
  • Students beginning to recognize and talk to me outside of school throughout the city + Enough said.
  • The bowing throughout the hallways disappearing and turning into "Lana, teacher, Lana!" :) + The bowing is very respectful, but it always feels like an end to the encounter.When they call me name, they are ready to talk. In the hallway is where I get to have casual conversations with them and really get to know who they are.
  • Finding a place to purchase books written in English and discovering the book "Immortal Unicorn,"S. Beagle compiled by Peter + If you are looking for used books in English in Anyang, you can find them at Beomgye station. Sure they are mostly romance novels, but if you looks close enough, you will find something good. There must be better places for books, but I have not yet found them.
  • Witnessing a man on the sidewalk that had been hit on his bike by a car - I stepped out of school and heard the yelling and the crash. After walking a block away from school, there the man way laying on the sidewalk. Just as I walked up, an ambulance arrived. Some of my nearby students hardly seemed phased and said that this happens all the time. I guess I'm not surprised because the driving situation around here is anything but safe.
  • Being smooched (without consent) by native men on two different occasions - I don't think either of the incidents were dangerous, but it was definitely a wake up call. I feel really safe where I am, but I think I need to make sure that I am still setting boundaries when talking to strangers. And perhaps stay away from those that have drank to much soju.
  • Being added to the Cool Messenger (similar to AIM) list at my school + Made me feel accepted.
  • Learning to ride the subway + Now I can go ANYWHERE
  • EATING tasty foods +
  • Getting the computer back up and running +++ 
OK, so I typed a lot. Time for some pictures:


Ate Vietnamese food for dinner one night in
Pyeongchong. The Pho was absolutely amazing.

Came across the Anyang Festival. Here a young
girl sticking money to a donation board. Clever technique! 










At the festival, my friend Jake and I were offered a chance to try on
some traditional Korean clothing. We also signed something in Korean,
so I wouldn't be surprised if we spot ourselves on a bus somewhere...

Took a trip to Myeong-dong, Seoul in search of computer parts.
Can'twait to return for some shopping.

Also traveled to Yongsan, Seoul to explore the 9 story electronics i-Mall
and eat some lunch.

There was a yoga extravaganza taking place in the area. Wish I could
be a part.

Last night of the Anyang Festival- a whole lot of good music
and dancing.

That, of course, ended with fireworks.

Out with the new friend.

I asked him to surprise me with a new food and he ordered us
Beondegi (silkworm pupae). Even the Native Koreans that
I share this story with cringe, but it really was not bad.

I don't think there is such thing as a boring night in Beomgye.
When do people sleep?

Dear PC Bangs, Thanks for the assistance when my laptop was
out of service, but to be honest, I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE YOU.
FYI, Microsoft Word > World of Warcraft.

Sometimes when I am high above ground level in building,
I creep. This guy caught me. Oops!

7 comments:

  1. yeah food most concerns me every time I visit foreign countries. Have tried makgeolli with pajeon? It's lovely!

    Here is the website you can look into
    http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FO/FO_EN_6_3_2.jsp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I ate Juk for lunch today. And yes I have had makgeolli and pajeoun, but had forgotten the name. Glad you reminded me. Are you in Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can international fans purchase tickets for the SBS Dream Concert in Korea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there a chance for me to become a english teacher in korea and b able to live on my own?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly! If you mean live on your own, as in your own apartment, yes.

    And if you mean live on your own, as in not take the apartment the school would provide, you may take a housing allowance instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When traveling to South Korea, do computers need any special software to connect to the internet?

    ReplyDelete